Wednesday, December 21, 2011

GOD, HEAVEN, HELL


I do not believe in God, at least not in the god of the Judeo-Chistian religion, not anymore. This wasn’t brought about by something tragic that happened in my life which brought me a lot of suffering and made me question God’s character or his existence. The concept of god that was I was taught since I was a child simply did not seem sensible anymore. I was born a Catholic and the concept of a god ingrained in my brain is the Holy Trinity of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I am not in a position nor do I have the experience to talk about the gods of the other religions.

First of all, I do not believe that God is a “HE.”  Or a “SHE.” God is neither, and therefore, an “IT,” and that is the pronoun I am going to use to refer to it. It is not my intention to reduce God to an object by referring to it as IT. This is just an inherent limitation of the English language.

I do not believe that it has gender and I certainly do not believe in its role as a family member – father, son, or whatever. I do not believe in a family of gods.

To personify a god is to limit it. I do not believe that it has a personality, that it can be angry or loving or vengeful or just. It just is.

To believe in this kind of god limits the mental and spiritual growth because all logic, reason, and quest for truth and knowledge ends with the belief in a god. “God said so” or “This is how God wants it.” You know how it is. You cannot even think for yourself because your priests and ultimately the Pope tell you what to think. You just think that you can think freely but you’re only allowed thoughts and ideas that are in accordance with the teachings of your religion. Defy this and it’s the sea of fire for you. Now hell is another issue.

I do not believe in Hell. Neither do I believe in Heaven. The concept of heaven and hell are the punishment and reward tools of control. Very much similar when a child is told to behave or the big bad wolf will get him. Or be nice so Santa Claus will give him gifts.

Doing good things motivated by heavenly rewards and avoiding evil for fear of hellish punishments are immature. Spiritual juveniles, I call them. Good should be done because it is the right thing to do. Bad should be avoided because it is not the right thing to do. If there is no Heaven, would the religious still do good? If there is no hell, would they still hold themselves from committing sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment